I know it says the 26th, but this thing will be posted on the last day of the year. You know what that means? Just like all the other web sites you read, we’re going to recap our best articles from the year (in addition to our normal roundup)! Lucky you!
I suppose this is also a good forum for you to complain that we only posted 1 content article last week… apologies. Maybe if more than 100 unique visitors were coming a day last week we would have posted more? (That’s our version of whining). Here’s some good stuff you may have missed in 2011!
- “Does the Trade Deficit Matter?” – I’ll give you a hint: Yes, but not in a way that you’re probably thinking.
- “Hedge Your Gas Prices” – A calculator for you to do exactly what the article title is implying! Try it… (Complain enough and maybe I’ll make it automatically populate the ETF price, eh?)
- “Poverty Rates and Simpson’s Paradox” – A (real) Economist explains why a .8 percentage point decrease in poverty is actually much larger than it appears.
- “Dr S&P or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying About the Credit Rating Downgrade” – I abused a movie title, but I made my point: yield matters. Check out the sweet interactive chart!
- “Frugality vs. Reality: Is Frugality Overrated?” – Guess what, a good price per unit isn’t always a good price! Click through for more…
- “Home Price Affordability Calculator” – Ahh, a financial calculator to determine how much house to buy, the mainstay of many sites. I made one as well!
- “Should Art and Psychology Majors Pay Higher Student Loan Rates?” – Well, yes. Read the article if you haven’t!
Carnivals and Featured Links
Carnivals we were in this week (Look, it was vacation! Give us a break…)
- Carnival of Financial Camraderie at My University Money.
- The Yakezie Carnival at Passive Income to Retire.
And we were rounded up just one time! Again, vacation, that’s our excuse…
- Tom Drake at Personal Dividends (and other sites, such as the Canadian Finance Blog) liked our graph on the net worth of Congress. We really liked this infographic on commuting by Miranda Marquit!
- Our pal Andrea at So Over Debt wrote a long, well-discussed article about luck and mistakes.
- Nelson, our Canadian buddy at Financial Uproar, had a response on luck so long it became its own post!
- A Blinkin summoned Gordon Gecko (and Al Parish) to a post, which is always a good idea if you can swing it!
- Boomer warns Echo about Retirement Plan B – move in with one of your children!
- Robert at My Multiple Incomes got us to stalk ourselves using Google.
- Sandy at Yes, I Am Cheap wrote an interesting piece at Yakezie on why making a living through a blog is hard. I suppose we have to agree and repeat some advice: Don’t Quit Your Day Job! (Obviously there is some number which would allow you to do just that… go read the article, would you?)
Rant of the Week!
Nah, not this week… c’mon! Happy New Year!
Hope you’re ready for an even year – DQYDJ is partly a political blog, and even years tend to bring that out a bit (check out our archives from 2010). We like all viewpoints, however, so don’t even think about holding your tongue!… “Enlightened Discussion” means just that – if you have an argument which helps or hurts what we’re posting, we would love for you to post it!